25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Home Wigan Warriors Team Yes, Coach No?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:40 am 
Player Coach
Fringe Player

ShortArse wrote:thats probably because we were in the lead, then gifted them a try by letting the ball bounce, and then refused to catch the ball when we were anywhere near their line.

hull did everything they needed to do to win (and deserved their win), but on this occasion, we helped to throw it away, rather than last week when we were never even in the game.

I would agree with that.

Hull FC just about deserved to take the spoils imo and in the 2nd half were the only team who were prepared to try things as opposed to 5 hits/scoots and a kick.

They did the little things right when it mattered and we were our own worst enemy. It was definitely a case of two points lost last night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:42 am 
International Board Member
Club Coach

Memony wrote:There seems to be little acknowledgement on here today that Hull FC may have played a good game and been good value for their win...

Hull fully deserved the win.

I said at half time that if we play like we did in the first, I'd have accepted defeat, but we didn't. As soon as Richards scored his try we shut up shop and reverted back to five drives and kick. Considering we were only 10-8 down for the last 10 minutes we didn't even look like getting back into the game.

Goulding really should have scored/set up two fantastic opportunites as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:48 am 
Player Coach
Club Captain

Alex BP' wrote:Hull fully deserved the win.

I said at half time that if we play like we did in the first, I'd have accepted defeat, but we didn't. As soon as Richards scored his try we shut up shop and reverted back to five drives and kick. Considering we were only 10-8 down for the last 10 minutes we didn't even look like getting back into the game.

Goulding really should have scored/set up two fantastic opportunites as well.

I didn't make the game what did he do? Was it one of him failure to pass or was it just good defending to keep him out?

How did he play last night?

3 World Club Challenges
19 League Titles
17 Challenge Cup wins
ONE CLUB
WIGAN RLFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:50 am 
Player Coach
Club Captain

thepriestman85 wrote:I didn't make the game what did he do? Was it one of him failure to pass or was it just good defending to keep him out?

It was good defending imo. He had a couple of 1 on 1 chances but the Hull defenders tackled him. I thought he had a good game. Played the majority of the match at wing (when Phelps went off) and full back (when Amos wanted a rest). I think he set up Bailey aswell but I couldn't see. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:58 am 
Club Coach

thepriestman85 wrote:I didn't make the game what did he do? Was it one of him failure to pass or was it just good defending to keep him out?

He did well, seemed dangerous and defended well BUT he made a couple of wrong decisions in the first and second halves that would have lead to tries.

In the first half whilst 20 yards away from the opposition try line he had a huge amount of space with Phelps outside him and covering defence coming his way. He presumed has pace would have got to the line first instead of feeding it to Phelps and the cover tackle took him into touch.

In the second half he was about the same distance out again and their defender basically had his feet planted just in front of the try line. Instead of using footwork and change of angle, he decided to use power and bounce off the defender which didn't work.

Don't get me wrong, he didn't play badly and he fully deserves his place next week but he should have done better in those situations. I'm sure he will have learned from both of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:14 pm 
Player Coach
Club Captain

Alex BP' wrote:He did well, seemed dangerous and defended well BUT he made a couple of wrong decisions in the first and second halves that would have lead to tries.

In the first half whilst 20 yards away from the opposition try line he had a huge amount of space with Phelps outside him and covering defence coming his way. He presumed has pace would have got to the line first instead of feeding it to Phelps and the cover tackle took him into touch.

In the second half he was about the same distance out again and their defender basically had his feet planted just in front of the try line. Instead of using footwork and change of angle, he decided to use power and bounce off the defender which didn't work.

Don't get me wrong, he didn't play badly and he fully deserves his place next week but he should have done better in those situations. I'm sure he will have learned from both of them.

I very much hope so. I really rate Goulding and i really hope he gets a good run this season to learn and show us what he can do. He’s already on the same level as Phelps IMO.

3 World Club Challenges
19 League Titles
17 Challenge Cup wins
ONE CLUB
WIGAN RLFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:21 pm 
International Chairman
International Chairman

Alex BP' wrote:He did well, seemed dangerous and defended well BUT he made a couple of wrong decisions in the first and second halves that would have lead to tries.

I'm going to disagree.
He did play poorly, those were two match winning opportunities. He's not a first year apprentice anymore. I believe that either Phelps or a fit Karl Pryce would have scored both those tries.

He also dropped the ball from a high kick late in the game. I'm not saying drop him by the way, but if Phelps is fit it may be better to give Ainscough a go on the wing and Goulding to the bench.

SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:53 pm 
Club Captain

Rogues Gallery wrote:I'm going to disagree.
He did play poorly, those were two match winning opportunities. He's not a first year apprentice anymore. I believe that either Phelps or a fit Karl Pryce would have scored both those tries.

He also dropped the ball from a high kick late in the game. I'm not saying drop him by the way, but if Phelps is fit it may be better to give Ainscough a go on the wing and Goulding to the bench.

And that is the reason Noble chooses Phelps over Goulding every time when possible.

How many chances does Goulding need? Everytime he plays we seem to be talking about him bombing trys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:59 pm 
Club Coach
Club Coach

Cant comment on them two chances but thats what goulding needs to work on to be a great player going for glory all the time

If goulding passed once in a while he'd be a very good Centre and thats what a centres job is take a hit and suck the defence in to let the winger go

[quote="Mark"]Great game of rugby league. Fantastic atmosphere, Wigan were breathtaking and dominant in all areas for the first 25 minutes, coupled with us making alot of dumb mistakes,then fortunately they brought McIlorum on which helped us back into the game. I thought some of the tries we scored to get us within two we're out of this world stuff. Towards the end we had to force it a little and we had a few things go wrong, i.e Monas kick on the first for King and Solomona going off who was causing havoc. Wigan were clinical in their eventual execution of us. Proud of Wire today and gave us a little glimpse to the future. Silverwood was awful as per, but I expect no less. Tomkins is a world class player and by far the best english player in SL. Wigan are a champion side and would be a worthy winner of taking our title as challenge cup. Good luck over the next month and a bit.[/quote]

It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:21 pm