FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Home Wakefield Trinity Rumours thread

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184 ... 222  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rumours thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:43 am 
Junior Player
New Signing

Onto other business, most fans will know it's transfer deadline day tomorrow. Bower's written a great little article on LoveRugbyLeague, clearing up a few things. Namely you can't make any more loan deals after the deadline, and you can't send players out on dual reg unless they've already played 4 games for their partner club this season. I know that doesn't affect us, more thinking about our competitors.

So where does that leave us? Any signings you're expecting to see announced? Anywhere you'd like to see our squad strengthened with a loan? And if so, who?

Has Storton been formally announced? Any truth in the Matty Russell chat? If Lino or Gale get injured before the end of the season, is it officially Max to 7 and Walkmsley to 1? Interested in your thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:49 am 
Player Coach
First Team Player

Butcher wrote:He'd be horrible to defend against on your line - he's unpredictable (for better and for worse), can tie you up, get on your outside shoulder, make you commit to the tackle and then put it on a plate for a wide runner. His short kicking game is very good. His long kicking game decent too. He's good in broken field, backs up, and his defence is way above average for a half back. Before last year - when we were pure tripe all over the field - when he played well we usually won.

Thank you for your input Mrs Lino!

Apart from the odd game, I've not rated him since he came here. No where near SL quality in my opinion, especially if we're aiming for top six or even top eight. I don't think he'd be a bad option as a third choice half to cover injuries, but it'd a waste of a quota spot if we did.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:26 am 
Junior Player
New Signing

Haha I knew that was coming. Let me guess - "bring back Rocky"?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:37 am 
Club Captain
Junior Player

For his entire Wakefield career, Lino has been saddled with being partnered with Miller's headless chicken act so my main concern with Lino is that he didn't push Miller aside and take control as a dominant half. This season should have shown us what Lino is capable of but he seems to have some chronic conditions that need to be cleared up or shipped out. The clock is ticking on his opportunities to impress that he can do the job required of him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:40 am 
Player Coach
First Team Player

Butcher wrote:Haha I knew that was coming. Let me guess - "bring back Rocky"?

Not for me. He's a full back not a half, and I'm happy with the one we've got. Although I do rate him, I think that ship has sailed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:45 am 
Player Coach
First Team Player

FSW wrote:For his entire Wakefield career, Lino has been saddled with being partnered with Miller's headless chicken act so my main concern with Lino is that he didn't push Miller aside and take control as a dominant half. This season should have shown us what Lino is capable of but he seems to have some chronic conditions that need to be cleared up or shipped out. The clock is ticking on his opportunities to impress that he can do the job required of him.

2021 - We've signed Mason Lino to take over the organising which will free Jacob Miller up to play his natural game.

2023 - Now Jacob Miller gone Lino will take over the organising and he can be the main man.

Also 2023 - We've signed Luke Gale to take over the organising which will free Lino up to play his natural game.

Nearly four years in and we still don't know if he's an organising half or running half. If we have signed Trueman and Russell then Powell has probably decided it's neither.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:47 am 
Club Coach
International Star

Butcher wrote:Onto other business, most fans will know it's transfer deadline day tomorrow. Bower's written a great little article on LoveRugbyLeague, clearing up a few things. Namely you can't make any more loan deals after the deadline, and you can't send players out on dual reg unless they've already played 4 games for their partner club this season. I know that doesn't affect us, more thinking about our competitors.

So where does that leave us? Any signings you're expecting to see announced? Anywhere you'd like to see our squad strengthened with a loan? And if so, who?

Has Storton been formally announced? Any truth in the Matty Russell chat? If Lino or Gale get injured before the end of the season, is it officially Max to 7 and Walkmsley to 1? Interested in your thoughts.

I would like to see a halfback come in on loan or a utility. Someone like Hampshire. With Lawford out for season, Lino unknown for how long he’s out or could be out for and Gale effectively having to play every game with playoffs upcoming it’s not ideal. Unless the plan is for Jowitt to see out the season at 6. Someone like Hampshire would be a good option. I think we do need a loan half just to be safe. Or even manage Gale.

As for signings,

I’m don’t think signing for 2025 must be announced by the deadline. It’s more for remaining 2024 signings that need to be announced before tomorrow. So the likes of Storton/Russell etc can be announced anytime. The Storton one I would say could be just a matter of announcing. Less convinced on Marty Russell rumour.

It already is Walmsley to 1 and Jowitt to 7. You don’t need our thoughts because it’s already happened. That’s the position we find ourselves in. Jowitt is the best option.

Top six 2005 - Trinity.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:51 am 
Club Coach
International Star

FSW wrote:For his entire Wakefield career, Lino has been saddled with being partnered with Miller's headless chicken act so my main concern with Lino is that he didn't push Miller aside and take control as a dominant half. This season should have shown us what Lino is capable of but he seems to have some chronic conditions that need to be cleared up or shipped out. The clock is ticking on his opportunities to impress that he can do the job required of him.

Interesting take. I have always had Lino down as the headless chicken half with the skips across the line, the delayed or miss times passes and the only real play the crash ball onto a running second rower.

Interestingly Lino’s best game this season was the only time he’s been out on the left vs bulls.

Top six 2005 - Trinity.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:53 am 
Player Coach
First Team Player

Trojan Horse wrote:I would like to see a halfback come in on loan or a utility. Someone like Hampshire. With Lawford out for season, Lino unknown for how long he’s out or could be out for and Gale effectively having to play every game with playoffs upcoming it’s not ideal. Unless the plan is for Jowitt to see out the season at 6. Someone like Hampshire would be a good option. I think we do need a loan half just to be safe. Or even manage Gale.

As for signings,

I’m don’t think signing for 2025 must be announced by the deadline. It’s more for remaining 2024 signings that need to be announced before tomorrow. So the likes of Storton/Russell etc can be announced anytime. The Storton one I would say could be just a matter of announcing. Less convinced on Marty Russell rumour.

It already is Walmsley to 1 and Jowitt to 7. You don’t need our thoughts because it’s already happened. That’s the position we find ourselves in. Jowitt is the best option.

With Field and French struggling I can't see Wigan letting him go any time soon. If anyone comes in this season I reckon it'll be Trueman.

Last edited by imwakefieldtillidie on Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:00 am 
International Chairman
International Chairman

Miller is a decent HB, Lino is the headless chicken, think you’re in a minority on that. In the few decent games we’ve had from Lino in the early days they were all when partnered by Miller. For me Lino just doesn’t have the smarts as. HB.

SUPPORT SWAG...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184 ... 222  Next

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:16 pm