25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Home Leigh Leopards Joe Mellor

Post subject: Joe Mellor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:34 pm 
Club Owner
Club Owner

Location: Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Gone to Salford
Gone to Salford

Post subject: Re: Joe Mellor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:11 pm 
Player Coach
Club Captain

Very mixed feelings about this.
Joe is a 100%’er ball in hand and in defence, and has a fair amount of skill to go along with that. I was very happy with him as a strong back-up in the halves and the interchange 9. I also however can see how he would want the longer contract and chance of starting half at Salford. I would have loved him to be with us for the coming season but understand why this has come about from both sides.
I expect an announcement of an incoming player or two in response to this move in the non-to distant future.
In Lam and Chessy and Derek (LCD) we trust.

First game was in 1967, and have been hooked since day 1. Now live in Vancouver, Canada but follow our team any way I can.
“Up The Comics !”

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:34 pm 
First Team Player
Academy Player

Agreed. This must indicate one or two more incomings.

Lovely tribute to him on the Club website and well deserved. What a welcome change to see the club acknowledging the contribution of a player who is moving on to pastures new.

On a personal note I am sad to see him go. I always thought Joe was great for us, a really good and also brave player with no little skill. Really chuffed for him that he won a Challenge Cup winners medal whilst with us

Graduate of Firs Maternity Home

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:45 pm 
Club Captain
Academy Player

I'll echo the previous statements. A player who gives 100%, tackles well above his weight and always committed in attack and defence. Could have been a good squad player with all his experience too.

The only positive in this is if it leads to additions to the squad in other areas.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:55 pm 
Club Captain
Club Captain

Gutted to see this. All the best, Joe, barring in games against us.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:13 pm 
Academy Player
New Signing

Good luck Joe .Always enjoyed watching Joe play, played it a little different from most other half backs I felt we were blessed with plenty of options at half this season especially with the rumour of various players coming in but saying that I don't think Joe would have wanted another season of playing second fiddle at half and back hooker so he has done what is best for his family and career so thanks for the memories Joe and all the best .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:03 am 
Academy Player
New Signing

Gobsmacked,late on last season was one of our better players

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:29 pm 
Fringe Player
Junior Player

I'm genuinely a little sad over this move. I've enjoyed rubber Joe's time at Leigh, and I respect the professionalism and effort he's given to our club. He also surely occupies a unique position in out history - his father Sean having won the league with us in 81/82 and and Joe the Challenge Cup this year.

I understand the reasons for the move, as Joe nears the end of his playing career and wants the certainty of a longer contract, but it's a shame we won't get to say a proper farewell.

If it doesn't clash with his duties at Salford, I'd like it if he could get to one of out friendlies so we can show our appreciation.

@michaelward@genserver.social on Mastodon

It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:39 pm