FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Home The Virtual Terrace Martin Offiah

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Martin Offiah
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:44 am 
Club Captain
Fringe Player

snowie wrote:anyway the salary cap worked it brought other clubs closer to the top, until it was introduced there was only one club winning Wigan not even the beloved saints or Leeds was could match them at that time, as a fan of a club destining not to see a title of any kind due to the of comps now I wonder what is the point of bothering of watching

yeah lets remove the cap it will be fun watch your rich clubs fight over couple of trophy's to see which one falls first

It didn't work as a salary cap should see different teams winning, not just the same 3 or 4.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:47 am 
Player Coach
International Star

snowie wrote:I'd say just the top 6 rich clubs but how many clubs have players wife's on £30k a year cleaning to get around the cap

Or giving players cash cards with 30k on?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:49 am 
First Team Player
First Team Player

snowie wrote:anyway the salary cap worked it brought other clubs closer to the top, until it was introduced there was only one club winning Wigan not even the beloved saints or Leeds was could match them at that time, as a fan of a club destining not to see a title of any kind due to the of comps now I wonder what is the point of bothering of watching

yeah lets remove the cap it will be fun watch your rich clubs fight over couple of trophy's to see which one falls first

No it hasnt worked. Its brought the top clubs closer to the bottom, not the other way around.

3 teams have won SL in the past 16 years and in that time the profile of the game has fallen to an all time low.

If you are a fan of a small club, of course you love it because you get a chance of a top 8 playoff game, which is your grand final.

Wakefield Wildcats RLFANS Quiz Champion 2023

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:26 am 
International Star
First Team Player

Since the NRL’s inception in 1998, 12 different teams have won the GF. There is an argument for both sides of shall we shall we not increase the cap.

DONT TOUCH THE WATCH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:55 am 
International Chairman
TheWarringtonWolve69 wrote:No it hasnt worked. Its brought the top clubs closer to the bottom, not the other way around.

3 teams have won SL in the past 16 years and in that time the profile of the game has fallen to an all time low.

If you are a fan of a small club, of course you love it because you get a chance of a top 8 playoff game, which is your grand final.

That's just bollox you telling me saints standard has got worse :lol: if anything it stunted Wigan.
You can throw as much money as you like at it if the players aren't there to buy they aren't there and neglecting the lower leagues is coming home to roost now, we could just import players and forget about having a national side
having the cap was to try and even the top players out than stop clubs over spending

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:58 am 
Club Captain
Club Captain

He'd have a point if the majority of clubs could afford to spend the full cap, let alone more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:52 pm 

Pat Bateman wrote:Since the NRL’s inception in 1998, 12 different teams have won the GF. There is an argument for both sides of shall we shall we not increase the cap.

I think the main thing here is that the NRL clubs are all pretty equally wealthy whereas only a handful of SL club can even think about spending to the cap, and there's no prizes for guessing which ones they are.

:DAISY: Black 'n' White's Best Female 2006 & Runner Up 2007 & 2008 :DAISY:
"We will not accept a top eight finish as a barometer of supposed success at any point in the future whilst I am the owner of this club", A Pearson 23/09/2011

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:31 pm 
Club Owner
International Star

Jack Burton wrote:He'd have a point if the majority of clubs could afford to spend the full cap, let alone more.

Karen wrote:
Pat Bateman wrote:Since the NRL’s inception in 1998, 12 different teams have won the GF. There is an argument for both sides of shall we shall we not increase the cap.

I think the main thing here is that the NRL clubs are all pretty equally wealthy whereas only a handful of SL club can even think about spending to the cap, and there's no prizes for guessing which ones they are.

The NRL clubs do have a disparity of wealth

However

the point is there is no incentive for each and every club to maximise their own business and push themselves to increase their revenues, develop their own Youth Structures etc. because the TV money covers the Salary Cap more or less

If the Salary cap was 5m for example it could incentivize clubs to look for wealthier investors, increase the commercial/marketing capabilities to turn out top clubs into 21st century Sporting Businesses (Leeds have been the best in this area IMO).

As it stands we look small time, we are small time and we become almost irrelevant

I think the Salary cap has a place in the game, but the bar should be way higher (Double IMO for a start) than it is now.
If a gun was held to my head and the question was Salary cap or not at this particular moment I would say No salary cap - Because the damage it's done over 20 years through allowing it to stagnate and how far we've fallen behind other comparable sports/competitions is bordering on Neglect.

But there needs to be an escape route to what we need to be at comparable to NRL/RU etc.
Currently we are falling further and further behind, our escape route needs to increase the cap % wise to a greater level year on year just to keep pace with them (If we raise it 10% then NRL/RU would only need to raise there's 3% to match that).
So somewhere we need to go in one swoop to say 3million with a 5/10 yr plan to raise 10% year on year to catch up.

Without having the media exposure, the access to attract top players, retain top players were just going backwards

Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:09 pm 
International Star
First Team Player

Karen wrote:I think the main thing here is that the NRL clubs are all pretty equally wealthy whereas only a handful of SL club can even think about spending to the cap, and there's no prizes for guessing which ones they are.

Absolutely agree, it’s money dependant, in which a lot of clubs simply can’t compete ie my club Wakefield. In the NRL, even the bottom 3 clubs have Aus/ NZ internationals within their sides, but as you said they are pretty much all on an equal par financially (unlike over here).

DONT TOUCH THE WATCH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:59 pm 
International Chairman
International Chairman

TheWarringtonWolve69 wrote:Must have been reading my posts on here.

He has come out in the press stating that the salary cap has killed the game in this country and that some clubs might aswell just grab a random person off the street and stick a playing jersey on them. That’s exactly what I’ve been saying the teams at the bottom of SL do.

Love him or loathe him, but he is bang on. The salary cap has utterly decimated the sport in this country

I remember when Warrington wasn't a top club, you clearly don't.

I can't speak for all SL clubs but my own club Trinity has had a very rocky two years, yet considering we got an Academy licence we clearly don't pick players up off the street, we very much nurture our own.

The problem with pratts like you is you generalise and use any soundbite that suits you.

The reason the game is in the doldrums is down to greedy clubs like yours, or am I generalising here.

Funny how the cap works just fine in the NRL.

SUPPORT SWAG...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:04 pm