FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Home Salford Red Devils Social Media

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Social Media
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:31 pm 

Skudlooking wrote: couldn't even tell u who runs this forum.

Nobody runs it as such. For the last few years Scarlet Turkey has been the name of the Salford forum on rlfans.com. One of over 100 forums on a network with over 120,000 users. Each forum has moderators to make sure posts stay within the law and within the rlfans acceptable usage policy (hence why I've just edited a post on the first page of this thread because it involved copyright infringement.) The Moderators here are myself, King of the Shed, Chico and Loyalfan.

Going back in time, the Scarlet Turkey was more. It was a print fanzine established by myself and a few others in 1998; some departed, some joined, and the last print edition was about 2005. Then there were a handful of online only issues until 2008 that are still available to view - http://issuu.com/scarletturkey/docs

In 1999, in response to the forum on the club's official site effectively closing down becasue people were getting critical of the declining Gregory era, we set up a forum to give Salford fans somewhere online to discuss stuff. The forum went from standalone, to part of rivals.net, and when that network decided to boot all the RL sites, we got together with the Rugby League Supporters Association and other fans websites to get rlfans.com going.

In terms of who sets the agenda on the forum these day, you all do. Whoever starts a topic sets that agenda. I'd echo middleman's comments in saying that the benefit of discussions on here is that they don't have to fit into 140 characters.

paintrain wrote:I'm one of the admins on @Salfordfaithful to be honest I'm getting tired of these petty digs at each other's pages were all salford supporters

As I stated on Twitter, this "page" hasn't had a dig at anyone. The Scarlet Turkey hasn't said anything since the last online edition in 2008. You are correct that some users on here have criticised @SalfordFaithful and other individuals in posts on here, but they speak for themselves. They represent the views of rlfans.com or the Scarlet Turkey no more than a person on Twitter represents the views of Twitter Incorporated. The only people who could vaguely be seen as speaking for the Turkey are the four moderators, and you won't have read any of us having digs. I know a few of the posters who post on here, but there are plenty of users who I don't know (or at least can't match the username to the face).

The Perry Boy wrote:'ve always wondered who people are specifically referring to when mentioning 'The Scarlet Turkey Lads' just to see if they're the same lads who actually used to write and contribute to it.

The way I see it, as I've been accused on Twitter of things that are definitely not my doing, there is two perceptions. One is from Mike87, who I think does actually refer to either myself or people who I know (despite the fact that in 1992 I was a kid stood with my Dad and hadn't met any of the others) and I can only assume that either I or one of them have done something that he's taken offence to in the past. If it was me, I apologise, it wasn't intended, it may have been a bad day or I may have been worse for wear. People change, they grow up, they chill out. Dwelling on the past isn't really helping right now. I stand with various people at games and I feel lucky to have met so may sound people from different backgrounds.

The second perception is what I think people from a newer generation of Facebook/Twitter internet users refer to as "the Scarlet Turkey lot", which simply people who post on here. Two people have been named to me on twitter (one by their username on here and one by their real name) as being part of the Turkey lot and neither has ever had anything to do with the fanzine or website.

As has been posted elsewhere, people will support their team in different ways. Nobody is better or worse than another (caveat below), just different in how they want to act at games and support their team. Not everybody is going to be bessie mates, people will form groups who they hang out with, but we're all Salford fans and we all want to see a successful team on the pitch and a much improved club off the pitch. Caveat - the one supporter behaviour we've had at Barton though which I massively deplore is the fairly frequently chucking of things at opposition players and match officials - it reflects badly on the club, and it reflects badly on all of us - but surely nobody's going to condone that.

My comments on the fans board were posted last week on twitter - simply that I really hope that they can get a good cross section of supporters in terms of ages and experiences. I've been on holiday so I'm not sure how widely it's been publicised, but my concern would be that with it being announced and applications concluded between home games, then it may limit the section of support who is actually aware of it happening.

Hopefully at least 7 of them will disapprove of drums :wink:
Skudlooking wrote: couldn't even tell u who runs this forum.

Nobody runs it as such. For the last few years Scarlet Turkey has been the name of the Salford forum on rlfans.com. One of over 100 forums on a network with over 120,000 users. Each forum has moderators to make sure posts stay within the law and within the rlfans acceptable usage policy (hence why I've just edited a post on the first page of this thread because it involved copyright infringement.) The Moderators here are myself, King of the Shed, Chico and Loyalfan.

Going back in time, the Scarlet Turkey was more. It was a print fanzine established by myself and a few others in 1998; some departed, some joined, and the last print edition was about 2005. Then there were a handful of online only issues until 2008 that are still available to view - http://issuu.com/scarletturkey/docs

In 1999, in response to the forum on the club's official site effectively closing down becasue people were getting critical of the declining Gregory era, we set up a forum to give Salford fans somewhere online to discuss stuff. The forum went from standalone, to part of rivals.net, and when that network decided to boot all the RL sites, we got together with the Rugby League Supporters Association and other fans websites to get rlfans.com going.

In terms of who sets the agenda on the forum these day, you all do. Whoever starts a topic sets that agenda. I'd echo middleman's comments in saying that the benefit of discussions on here is that they don't have to fit into 140 characters.

paintrain wrote:I'm one of the admins on @Salfordfaithful to be honest I'm getting tired of these petty digs at each other's pages were all salford supporters

As I stated on Twitter, this "page" hasn't had a dig at anyone. The Scarlet Turkey hasn't said anything since the last online edition in 2008. You are correct that some users on here have criticised @SalfordFaithful and other individuals in posts on here, but they speak for themselves. They represent the views of rlfans.com or the Scarlet Turkey no more than a person on Twitter represents the views of Twitter Incorporated. The only people who could vaguely be seen as speaking for the Turkey are the four moderators, and you won't have read any of us having digs. I know a few of the posters who post on here, but there are plenty of users who I don't know (or at least can't match the username to the face).

The Perry Boy wrote:'ve always wondered who people are specifically referring to when mentioning 'The Scarlet Turkey Lads' just to see if they're the same lads who actually used to write and contribute to it.

The way I see it, as I've been accused on Twitter of things that are definitely not my doing, there is two perceptions. One is from Mike87, who I think does actually refer to either myself or people who I know (despite the fact that in 1992 I was a kid stood with my Dad and hadn't met any of the others) and I can only assume that either I or one of them have done something that he's taken offence to in the past. If it was me, I apologise, it wasn't intended, it may have been a bad day or I may have been worse for wear. People change, they grow up, they chill out. Dwelling on the past isn't really helping right now. I stand with various people at games and I feel lucky to have met so may sound people from different backgrounds.

The second perception is what I think people from a newer generation of Facebook/Twitter internet users refer to as "the Scarlet Turkey lot", which simply people who post on here. Two people have been named to me on twitter (one by their username on here and one by their real name) as being part of the Turkey lot and neither has ever had anything to do with the fanzine or website.

As has been posted elsewhere, people will support their team in different ways. Nobody is better or worse than another (caveat below), just different in how they want to act at games and support their team. Not everybody is going to be bessie mates, people will form groups who they hang out with, but we're all Salford fans and we all want to see a successful team on the pitch and a much improved club off the pitch. Caveat - the one supporter behaviour we've had at Barton though which I massively deplore is the fairly frequently chucking of things at opposition players and match officials - it reflects badly on the club, and it reflects badly on all of us - but surely nobody's going to condone that.

My comments on the fans board were posted last week on twitter - simply that I really hope that they can get a good cross section of supporters in terms of ages and experiences. I've been on holiday so I'm not sure how widely it's been publicised, but my concern would be that with it being announced and applications concluded between home games, then it may limit the section of support who is actually aware of it happening.

Hopefully at least 7 of them will disapprove of drums :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:02 am 
International Star
Fringe Player

Well Said Iain!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:50 am 
International Star
Academy Player

Iain, can you break your fantastic post into 140 character segments so that twitter users don't feel left out..... Obviously, I'm joking!!!!!

On the 8th day, God created Rugby League
On the 9th day, Satan created Salford.
A battle ensued through to to late on the 12th day.
A few hours later, a truce, and on the final stroke of midnight, Code 13 was created...
Heaven and Hell combined forces and delivered Salford Red Devils...a legacy is born!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:12 pm 
Player Coach
Fringe Player

Iain wrote:
The second perception is what I think people from a newer generation of Facebook/Twitter internet users refer to as "the Scarlet Turkey lot", which simply people who post on here. Two people have been named to me on twitter (one by their username on here and one by their real name) as being part of the Turkey lot and neither has ever had anything to do with the fanzine:

If I'm correct, the one mentioned by their real name, is in my opinion, the best twitter account by a Salford fan.
And someone who should be on the fans board, as he wouldn't be doing it for the 'look at me' factor.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:20 pm 
International Star
Fringe Player

I do have twitter (never actually 'tweeted' though, other than RT, lol) but didnt know so many people did have it, but I think I know the group they're on about. They do seem to have an arrogance about them at games and their opinions on here only reinforce the stereotype in my opinion. I would never say Im part of the "Scarlet Turkey group" as I dont stand with them but it seems from what im reading that "Scarlet Turkey" is becoming a bit of a toxic insult labeled at certain members of our fans sadly and this isnt a good thing. (Out of interest, why was the fanzine called Scarlet Turkey in the first place Iain, always wondered?) I too have the seen the phots on facebook circulating with the tags "The Boring Crew" and I dont find it nice or funny. Sadly, I feel that this is partly a consequence of, as has been mentioned, people trying to impress Marwan and Martin Vickers since they got twitter ( why do people tag them in EVERYTHING?). And the idea of this fans board is only making 'groups' of fans which already existed try to become more prominent, whether intentionally so or not. Inevitably fans will always support the team but there will inevitably be different groups of fans who share interests and hence why they now seem to be fighting for prominence on twitter. Meanwhile, why dont you "scarlet turkey lads" (you know who you are! ;) ) just try and smile at people at games and be a bit more welcoming, it could improve your reputation a lot, you never know! :)

Not associated with any professional rugby club or news publication.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:39 am 
International Chairman
Club Captain

Re groups/clubs/cliches: that infamous Groucho Marx quote keeps spinning through my mind.

To save Iain typing as his tired body recovers from holiday rigours: "Scarlet Turkeys" was the nickname given to Salford RLFC over a hundred years ago: it refers to our wearing a red shirt. If you think for a moment, can you think of another team in red only (i.e. not hoops of chevrons etc.)? One obvious answer is Hull KR and so they were nicknamed the Robins. A pattern methinks.
At least we avoided being nicknamed the Bourbon Turkeys.

Sad preacher nailed upon the coloured door of time;
Insane teacher be there reminded of the rhyme.
There'll be no mutant enemy we shall certify;
Political ends, as sad remains, will die.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:39 am 
Player Coach
Fringe Player

I am an occasional contributor to this forum, I have followed Salford for more years than I care to remember, I never stood in the shed at the willows & currently have a season ticket in the east stand. I occasional use twitter & have followed some of the tweets regards Mk. I have been critical of some of his comments on social media, however I don't consider myself a stereo typical fan because I use this forum more than twitter, maybe its a generational thing. I am a Salford fan, & we all should be pulling in the same direction. lets hope whoever is selected to this panel can breakdown this stupidity that seems to be growing between the forum & twitter follows.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:00 pm 
International Chairman
Club Captain

Hillbilly_Red wrote:Re groups/clubs/cliches: that infamous Groucho Marx quote keeps spinning through my mind.

To save Iain typing as his tired body recovers from holiday rigours: "Scarlet Turkeys" was the nickname given to Salford RLFC over a hundred years ago: it refers to our wearing a red shirt. If you think for a moment, can you think of another team in red only (i.e. not hoops of chevrons etc.)? One obvious answer is Hull KR and so they were nicknamed the Robins. A pattern methinks.

" If you find it hard to laugh at yourself , I'll do it for you .." ?
I think an Oscar Wilde is more applicable " I'm not young enough to know everything " ..

Scarlet Turkey
Turkey Red :- popular victorian cotton Dye process for a bright Red ( Scarlet ) involving use of the Root of the Madder Plant & Bullock Blood, called Turkey Red as the process originated in the middle east when part of the Turkish Empire, not the bird we eat at Xmas.http://feastbowl.wordpress.com/2012/06/22/turkey-red-a-study-in-scarlet/
As it was the ubiquitous Red it was the Bright red Tops the club Adopted after the amber Black & Red Hoops.
As the colour Turkey Red was also described as Scarlet the two adjectives were commonly used and merged..
Hillbilly_Red wrote:Re groups/clubs/cliches: that infamous Groucho Marx quote keeps spinning through my mind.

" If you find it hard to laugh at yourself , I'll do it for you .." ?
I think an Oscar Wilde is more applicable " I'm not young enough to know everything " ..

Scarlet Turkey
Turkey Red :- popular victorian cotton Dye process for a bright Red ( Scarlet ) involving use of the Root of the Madder Plant & Bullock Blood, called Turkey Red as the process originated in the middle east when part of the Turkish Empire, not the bird we eat at Xmas.http://feastbowl.wordpress.com/2012/06/22/turkey-red-a-study-in-scarlet/
As it was the ubiquitous Red it was the Bright red Tops the club Adopted after the amber Black & Red Hoops.
As the colour Turkey Red was also described as Scarlet the two adjectives were commonly used and merged..

"In his autumn before the winter comes man's last mad surge of youth." "What on earth are you talking about?"

Last edited by middleman on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:57 pm 
International Chairman
Club Captain

Middleman, I'm going to kick myself from the Wheatsheaf to the Exchange!
I am aware of the dyeing process and the name
and also that some Turkeys are thought of as being red.
Foolishly I kept to the latter instead of the more logical first! :oops:

When you think of the rarity of a single colour jersey in RL, some of the recent designs offend our history.

Sad preacher nailed upon the coloured door of time;
Insane teacher be there reminded of the rhyme.
There'll be no mutant enemy we shall certify;
Political ends, as sad remains, will die.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:30 pm 
International Chairman
Club Captain

however I suspect the Groucho quote you were thinking of was:

" I resign. I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member "

which seems pretty appropriate for some of the bickering going on!!

Knowledge flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:31 pm