FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Home Other Sports Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 182  Next
 Post subject: Re: Football Chat Thread - Euro 2012 edition
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:43 pm 

Cibaman wrote:The precedent fine set for Rio Ferdinand's "choc ice" comment will probably be applied to Cole.

Although to be fair RIO should have his money refunded for being factually correct.

Ashley Cole = Choc Ice he will never live it down

Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers

Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:58 pm 
Player Coach
Club Captain

Durham Giant wrote:Although to be fair RIO should have his money refunded for being factually correct.

Ashley Cole = Choc Ice he will never live it down

Racial abuse is okay if the victim is Ashley Cole?

Ashley Cole's tweet was factually correct. The FA are a bunch of ****s.

John Terry was punished for the "B" word. Wasn't he just being factually correct too?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:05 pm 
International Star
Club Captain

Lord God Jose Mourinho wrote:Racial abuse is okay if the victim is Ashley Cole?

Ashley Cole's tweet was factually correct. The FA are a bunch of ****s.

John Terry was punished for the "B" word. Wasn't he just being factually correct too?

No, Cole isn't correct - Only in the eyes of blinkered Chelsea fans is he correct.

As for Terry?....Well, as pointed out today on Sky's Soccer Saturday, if a fan on the terraces shouts at a player what Terry has admitted saying, then the fan will would be ejected and probably prosecuted.

Yes, the context may be different, but any player, not just Terry, can't be allowed to get away with ANY racist banter.

And so you aim towards the sky,
And you'll rise high today,
Fly away, Far away,
Far from pain....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:07 pm 
Player Coach
Club Captain

Reading that Alan Shearer said on MotD that Ashley Cole should get a ban for his twitter comment about the FA.

That's the same Alan Shearer who got off when he kicked someone in the head and threatened to quit England if he was punished?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:16 pm 
Player Coach
Club Captain

Dita's Slot Meter wrote:No, Cole isn't correct - Only in the eyes of blinkered Chelsea fans is he correct.

Hang on. Pretty much every single supporter who takes an interest in football thinks the FA are a useless BOT. With the dreadful refs, the billion spent on a national stadium, the dreadful state of coaching and youth development. How about their part in the Hillsbrough disaster?

If Cole was telling the truth, then he's right to be angry that they have ripped him apart. Obviously, you've looked at all the facts and know that Cole was lying then?

Quote:As for Terry?....Well, as pointed out today on Sky's Soccer Saturday, if a fan on the terraces shouts at a player what Terry has admitted saying, then the fan will would be ejected and probably prosecuted.

If a fan on the terraces walks out on the pitch then he's getting ejected and possibly prosecuted. It's a stupid comparison, for stupid people like you.

If a fan at the terraces says what Anton Ferdinand did then he's going to get ejected and probably prosecuted. That's if he's alone. When there's thousands of people saying that type of abuse then they get away with it.

Quote:Yes, the context may be different, but any player, not just Terry, can't be allowed to get away with ANY racist banter.

And the reason for my post: RIO FERDINAND RACIALLY ABUSED ASHLEY COLE. The poster on here repeated the racial abuse.

But, as I said, if it's racist abuse of Ashley Cole, that seems to be okay then?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:26 pm 
International Star
Club Captain

Lord God Jose Mourinho wrote:If Cole was telling the truth, then he's right to be angry that they have ripped him apart. Obviously, you've looked at all the facts and know that Cole was lying then?

You really are a prize nobhead..... :lol:

During the Suarez case, I remember you being quite content to go along with the FA's belittling of Dirk Kuyt's evidence (probably stemming from your irrational hatred of Liverpool), yet now consider them to be a bunch of t***s because they dare to doubt the evidence of that paragon of virtue, St Ashley of Cole.

You need to take the blinkers off.....It seems your beloved club might finally have done, seeing has they are about to spank the naughty boys backside.

And so you aim towards the sky,
And you'll rise high today,
Fly away, Far away,
Far from pain....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:14 am 
Player Coach
Club Captain

Dita's Slot Meter wrote:You really are a prize nobhead..... :lol:

While you're just a no-mark fine fellow. You'll never be a prize anything.

Quote:During the Suarez case, I remember you being quite content to go along with the FA's belittling of Dirk Kuyt's evidence (probably stemming from your irrational hatred of Liverpool), yet now consider them to be a bunch of t***s because they dare to doubt the evidence of that paragon of virtue, St Ashley of Cole.

You need to take the blinkers off.....It seems your beloved club might finally have done, seeing has they are about to spank the naughty boys backside.

Despite my "irrational hatred of Liverpool" (which I would argue is a valid hatred of them, because of their continual and never-ending vileness while claiming Sainthood) I was actually supportive of Suarez until the written report was published.

I don't think I ever discussed Kuyt's evidence because I was never in a position to judge it. I've said many times on here that if Suarez and LFC felt the verdict was wrong, and the process was wrong, then they should have appealed the decision. I feel that Terry has to do the same.

As I've said, if Cole was accurate with the evidence he gave then he's got a right to call them on the fact they blatantly call him a liar. If Cole was lying then he's simply getting a tiny payback of what he deserves.

No one likes the FA anyway. They never did before, they don't now and they won't in the future. You really are a retard if you think that my backing of them being a BOT is simply support of Cole.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:49 am 
Player Coach
Club Captain

Rod Liddle, Sunday Times:

YET AGAIN we are forced to turn to Ashley Cole for the most succinct summary of the FA commissions report into the John Terry and Anton Ferdinand affair. Ashley is becoming a bit of an oracle, a fount of wisdom on this issue. Having read the report, or having had it read to him slowly by somebody he employs for this purpose, Ashley, via the medium of Twitter, natch, commented: "Hahahahaaaaaa. Well done #FA. I lied did I? BUNCH OF TW***."

We were initially told that as a consequence of what seems to me an extremely accurate summation, if somewhat robustly expressed, Coles England career may be in jeopardy. The tweet has since been removed, and I suppose this, plus a writhing statement of regret, should be taken to imply a form of contrition. I wish Ashley hadnt been contrite: the FA in effect called him a liar and impugned the conduct and reputation of both the club for which he plays and, of course, his friend and captain, John Terry. It has all made me rather more favourably inclined towards Ashley and Chelsea than was hitherto the case. Come on you Blues, etc.

Cole, remember, is the one person in all of this farrago who was definitely, unequivocally, racially abused which occurred when Rio Ferdinand was delighted to hear his England colleague described as a Magnum or a Solero or something, again on Twitter. A choc-ice, that was it. A lying choc-ice now. Not very nice, is it? Still, if youre looking for a stocking-filler for a football-mad relative or friend, you could do worse than order the full FA report, which we might call *****gate. You can replace those asterisks with whatever word you find most offensive: its an interactive thing.

The report is inadvertently illuminating in parts, and always hilarious. I notice that one of the commission members charged with pontificating in this matter was Stuart Ripley. I quite like the idea of abolishing the appeal courts in this country and replacing them with panels composed of former Middlesbrough FC wingers and inside-forwards Wilf Mannion, Derrick Downing, David "Spike" Armstrong and the like. Joe Laidlaw, maybe, although I suppose hes better remembered for his time at Carlisle.

The report begins with a fabulously detailed description of who said what to whom, all dealt with in the utmost seriousness, including Terry calling the QPR goalkeeper at the time, Paddy Kenny, a "cheeky c***" and puffing his cheeks out as if to suggest that Mr Kenny was overweight.

Before this we had the rapid-fire exchange of pleasantries between Ferdinand and Terry: "How can you call me a c***, you shagged your teammates missus, youre the c***," said Anton, doing a passable imitation of Oscar Wilde.

The gestures are described in full after all, at 63 pages, the report is a lot longer than the Gettysburg Address including the one Terry made to indicate that Anton had shockingly bad breath. Does he? I suppose we may never know for sure. Parma Violets can help with that sort of thing, although Im not convinced you can still get them these days.

Later the report details the exchange in the dressing room after the game, which was held at Terrys request. This section concludes with the sentence: "Mr Terry then shook Mr Ferdinands hand and the latter left the dressing room." And in some parallel but very distant universe, one governed by a sense of perspective and rationality, that is where the whole business would have ended. But we are not in that universe, sadly; we are in this one, and still only eight pages into the report.

In an attempt to prove that Terry is a habitual liar about stuff that happens on a football pitch, his sending-off against Barcelona in last seasons European Cup semi-final is dredged up. At first Terry said he didnt think it was a foul; later he agreed that it looked bad and that maybe he had clattered the bloke. And thats it: Terry has form, so we cant believe him. As it happens, I thought it was a stupid, pointless foul but Terrys explanation for it seemed to me both genuine and believable. But then I have never played on the wing for Middlesbrough.

The fact that Terry was cleared in a court of law of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand is also dealt with in detail; the FA insists that its procedure is likely to be more just than that which pertained in the magistrates court because paradoxically, you might think, if you were sane the burden of proof required for a simple disciplinary affair is not so great.

The FA is then required to stick the boot into the magistrate, implying that he was a little credulous of the evidence presented to him by Cole and Terry. He used, the report admonishes, the word "possible" in rapid succession.

And then the boot swings out at Cole for the "evolution" of his evidence and also at David Barnard, the Chelsea secretary. It is implied that Chelsea cobbled together some sort of cover-up by pooling their evidence and later changing their tune when the case came before the court and later the FA. I think if I were running Chelsea Id have a word with my lawyers.

And in the end, what has been the consequence? England have lost their captain, a white man who even the FA concede is not remotely a racist. And it may well have lost two other fine players, directly or indirectly as a consequence Cole and Rio Ferdinand, both of them black. Ah, but justice has been done, and seen to be done.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:13 am 
Player Coach
International Star

Don't really give a hoot what any knob journo writes on this any more. They were exposed as weak and pathetic during the Suarez case, the job Newsframes done on them was more than enough for me to realise that balanced reading isn't achievable through a newspaper.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:52 am 
Player Coach
Club Captain

Roddy B wrote:Don't really give a hoot what any knob journo writes on this any more. They were exposed as weak and pathetic during the Suarez case, the job Newsframes done on them was more than enough for me to realise that balanced reading isn't achievable through a newspaper.

Not as weak and pathetic as Suarez and LFC were for not appealing.

Instead LFC chose to wage a media campaign to undermine the verdict. How stupid is that? You decline the chance to fight the verdict in the appeal process yet you instead use the "weak and pathetic" media to do it.

I know you claim there were reasons Suarez couldn't appeal, but I just don't buy it.

I understand there are hurdles to go through with JT's case. I think for the CAS to accept the case the case has to go to appeal. But the FA's rules are supposedly set up so that if there's an appeal it can't go to the CAS. That's clearly a nonsense, and personally I'd want JT's lawyers to be in contact with the FA and the CAS to end that nonsense so that an appeal can be made to the FA, and an ultimate arbitration from the CAS if they feel unsatisfied with that verdict.

But IMO just slinking off now, accepting the verdict and then whining about all the mistakes in the case and the press is something simply not open to Terry. If he does that, he should just eff off and move to Liverpool.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 182  Next

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:24 am