FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Home Wigan Warriors * * * Rumours & Signings XV * * *

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1071 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 108  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:09 pm 
Player Coach
Player Coach

Andy Coley - Will be 32 by the time his contract runs out. Still his experience and leadership up front will be of use to us. He has been our form prop this season and has been one of the most improved players at the club. He isn't a world beater but he does his job and effectively too. With the amount of props we have OOC I wouldn't fancy having to find four new props. So I would keep the best and Coley is certainly that at the moment. For as long as he keeps his form and fitness up and doesn't become injury prone another year as our 4th choice prop would be a positive move.

Cameron Phelps - Has been the biggest improvement this year at the club. He has a positive attitude and great work ethic. However he is playing in a key position at fullback and will take up a quota spot which will come down further next year and with Mark Riddell, Amos Roberts already contracted and the need to bring in a prop and another prop forward an English option such as Sean Briscoe might be an option we should look at. If Phelps is to get a contract he still needs to improve significantly (more so in his defence) and really establish himself as one of the best fullbacks in the league to warrant a contract extension due to the position he is playing in and the quota issue. Our quota players should not only been the one of the best bunch in our team but also one of the best in their position in the league.

Karl Pryce - Massive year for Karl Pryce. The amount of potential Pryce has is exciting but he hasn't come close to showing anything worthy of a contract extension. He spent his first full year out with injury and has only had something like five games in the first team. I question his worth ethic a lot and his desire to make into our first team. I just compare his attitude to that of Darrell Goulding. Who came out at pre-season looking the most fit and sharpest? KP has to improve his fitness and look hungry for a first team place. He can't under any circumstances stay in the reserves. We must either consider a loan option on an week to week basis at NL1 club or he can wait it out and give him an opportunity to show what he can do. If we start to see more from Pryce and his potential finally shows in the first team then a contract extension should be given however if we still don't see anything I would sooner count our losses and look elsewhere. Ian Thornley in the academy springs to mind.

Darrell Goulding - Has impressed at Salford and seems to have a far greater desire than Pryce to make it into the first team. Again the reserves is not an option for Darrell either a week to week loan basis or keep him around for competition for places in the squad. Either way one of Karl Pryce or Darrell Goulding should warrant a contract extension. George Carmont wont be here for 2011 (you would think) so you have to hope one can make it. Maybe give the one that does a year at centre to see how they do and go from there. Goulding will get a chance I just hope he takes it. Big year for him.

Harrison Hansen - Steady Eddie type guy. Just a solid player. You know what you get from Hansen. In the days of the salary cap you need players like that IMO. Nevertheless competition is fierce in the second row department and he needs to offer more than Liam Farrell or Lee Mossop for me to warrant a contract.

Lee Mossop - Nathan Brown rates him highly. The coach at Barrow rated him highly. Only had a few games to settle in will see much more from him next year. Needs to continue to show promise. Will probably warrant a 2 year extension.

Paul Prescott - Been really impressed with this lad. I keep thinking he will get better and better and as long as he keeps this up I would give him a 3 year contract.

Feka Paleaasina - Rumours suggest he is a top earner at the club. Could we get better for our money? Possibly. Having said that Feka does his job. He is brought on for impact and does so. He lifts the crowd and the team and we score a lot of tries off the back of him. On the right contract I would keep Feka.

Stuart Fielden - Not been good enough. People have tried to defend him but have just looked daft to me. On a massive contract will give us a chance to rectify our mistake and bring in a top prop. Willie Mason is OOC and numerous other big name props.

Phil Bailey (pressuming he signs for another year) - A case of thank you but we must move on. We need a big signing to replace Bailey IMO. We have lost a strike weapon in Hock and so far none of the lads coming through look like that kind of players. Anthony Watmough is one of a host of top draw players OOC. The money from Bailey and Hock could allow us to bring in a top star to mix in well with the young lads coming through.

George Carmont (Again if signed) - A lot depends on the fitness and if injuries continue to get worse. Also if we see the potential of Goulding and Pryce then I think we will move on. Even if not a host of big names are OOC. Steve Matai and Jamie Lyon to name a couple. I can't see past 2011 for George Carmont. Been a great buy and should get a good send off.

[/code]

Rugby Union: When entertainment just isn't your thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:19 pm 
Player Coach
Player Coach

cadoo wrote:Andy Coley - Will be 32 by the time his contract runs out. Still his experience and leadership up front will be of use to us. He has been our form prop this season and has been one of the most improved players at the club. He isn't a world beater but he does his job and effectively too. With the amount of props we have OOC I wouldn't fancy having to find four new props. So I would keep the best and Coley is certainly that at the moment. For as long as he keeps his form and fitness up and doesn't become injury prone another year as our 4th choice prop would be a positive move.

Cameron Phelps - Has been the biggest improvement this year at the club. He has a positive attitude and great work ethic. However he is playing in a key position at fullback and will take up a quota spot which will come down further next year and with Mark Riddell, Amos Roberts already contracted and the need to bring in a prop and another prop forward an English option such as Sean Briscoe might be an option we should look at. If Phelps is to get a contract he still needs to improve significantly (more so in his defence) and really establish himself as one of the best fullbacks in the league to warrant a contract extension due to the position he is playing in and the quota issue. Our quota players should not only been the one of the best bunch in our team but also one of the best in their position in the league.

Karl Pryce - Massive year for Karl Pryce. The amount of potential Pryce has is exciting but he hasn't come close to showing anything worthy of a contract extension. He spent his first full year out with injury and has only had something like five games in the first team. I question his worth ethic a lot and his desire to make into our first team. I just compare his attitude to that of Darrell Goulding. Who came out at pre-season looking the most fit and sharpest? KP has to improve his fitness and look hungry for a first team place. He can't under any circumstances stay in the reserves. We must either consider a loan option on an week to week basis at NL1 club or he can wait it out and give him an opportunity to show what he can do. If we start to see more from Pryce and his potential finally shows in the first team then a contract extension should be given however if we still don't see anything I would sooner count our losses and look elsewhere. Ian Thornley in the academy springs to mind.

Darrell Goulding - Has impressed at Salford and seems to have a far greater desire than Pryce to make it into the first team. Again the reserves is not an option for Darrell either a week to week loan basis or keep him around for competition for places in the squad. Either way one of Karl Pryce or Darrell Goulding should warrant a contract extension. George Carmont wont be here for 2011 (you would think) so you have to hope one can make it. Maybe give the one that does a year at centre to see how they do and go from there. Goulding will get a chance I just hope he takes it. Big year for him.

Harrison Hansen - Steady Eddie type guy. Just a solid player. You know what you get from Hansen. In the days of the salary cap you need players like that IMO. Nevertheless competition is fierce in the second row department and he needs to offer more than Liam Farrell or Lee Mossop for me to warrant a contract.

Lee Mossop - Nathan Brown rates him highly. The coach at Barrow rated him highly. Only had a few games to settle in will see much more from him next year. Needs to continue to show promise. Will probably warrant a 2 year extension.

Paul Prescott - Been really impressed with this lad. I keep thinking he will get better and better and as long as he keeps this up I would give him a 3 year contract.

Feka Paleaasina - Rumours suggest he is a top earner at the club. Could we get better for our money? Possibly. Having said that Feka does his job. He is brought on for impact and does so. He lifts the crowd and the team and we score a lot of tries off the back of him. On the right contract I would keep Feka.

Stuart Fielden - Not been good enough. People have tried to defend him but have just looked daft to me. On a massive contract will give us a chance to rectify our mistake and bring in a top prop. Willie Mason is OOC and numerous other big name props.

Phil Bailey (pressuming he signs for another year) - A case of thank you but we must move on. We need a big signing to replace Bailey IMO. We have lost a strike weapon in Hock and so far none of the lads coming through look like that kind of players. Anthony Watmough is one of a host of top draw players OOC. The money from Bailey and Hock could allow us to bring in a top star to mix in well with the young lads coming through.

George Carmont (Again if signed) - A lot depends on the fitness and if injuries continue to get worse. Also if we see the potential of Goulding and Pryce then I think we will move on. Even if not a host of big names are OOC. Steve Matai and Jamie Lyon to name a couple. I can't see past 2011 for George Carmont. Been a great buy and should get a good send off.

[/code]

Excelent round up of those players.

We should be looking at top replacements now for Fielden and Carmont for sure.

Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot
Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good
-
sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league
-
Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate
-
the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever
-
Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go
-
Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know
-
FIOS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 pm 
Player Coach
Club Captain

When is Mike Forshaw out of contract?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:46 pm 
Player Coach
Player Coach

CAM. wrote:When is Mike Forshaw out of contract?

he should be sacked IMO performance on the field just gives me no confidence he does a good job.

Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot
Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good
-
sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league
-
Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate
-
the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever
-
Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go
-
Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know
-
FIOS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:58 pm 
Player Coach
Player Coach

Odemwingie wrote:he should be sacked IMO performance on the field just gives me no confidence he does a good job.

Good call.

When I made the point about how significant a change of coach will be regardless if we sign anyone, a change of fitness and conditioning coach would do the same.

When we start the season so slow and come out of the blocks like we did we looked unfit, lazy and unprepared. We weren't anywhere near match fitness at all and the start has cost us.

Do players like Feka look better or worse?
Karl Pryce?
Stuart Fielden? Someone made the point he isn't as big as he was.

I don't like Forshaw and I don't think he makes a good SAF coach.

I would like Steve Hampson to whip them into shape!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:00 pm 
Player Coach
Club Captain

Doesn't Pongia work in a gym? We should get him, ala Perelini at Saints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:06 pm 
Player Coach
First Team Player

cadoo wrote:Andy Coley - Will be 32 by the time his contract runs out. Still his experience and leadership up front will be of use to us. He has been our form prop this season and has been one of the most improved players at the club. He isn't a world beater but he does his job and effectively too. With the amount of props we have OOC I wouldn't fancy having to find four new props. So I would keep the best and Coley is certainly that at the moment. For as long as he keeps his form and fitness up and doesn't become injury prone another year as our 4th choice prop would be a positive move.

[/code]

You make so many good points then spoil it by coming out with poop like lets sign Willie Mason, the guy is past it get over it. Briscoe, no chance he is settled in hull, and as for keeping Feka on a better contract?? The guy needs to go end of, he just doesn't offer enough to the team. Next year he will have O' Carroll & Davies both after his shirt and imo he needs to up his work rate, tackling and alround fitness or he will get left behind. If there is a new coach lined up he will probably give Feka time to sort himself out or give him the enough rope to hang himself.

Saints: 100% Bitter, 0% Class

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:25 pm 
Player Coach
Player Coach

jjb10 wrote:You make so many good points then spoil it by coming out with poop like lets sign Willie Mason, the guy is past it get over it. Briscoe, no chance he is settled in hull, and as for keeping Feka on a better contract?? The guy needs to go end of, he just doesn't offer enough to the team. Next year he will have O' Carroll & Davies both after his shirt and imo he needs to up his work rate, tackling and alround fitness or he will get left behind. If there is a new coach lined up he will probably give Feka time to sort himself out or give him the enough rope to hang himself.

I never said let's sign him I just used him as an example of the big name quality players available. I don't know if he is past it or not I don't watch the NRL. I don't think Briscoe is a silly suggestion as you make out. He has publically admitted he would love to return to Wigan one day. Unless you know him personally otherwise? If not you have made it up.

Feka is a interesting debate. He does the job he is payed to do. Make some impact off the bench, lift the team and attract enough players that from either a quick play the ball or an offload can create space for Leuluai and Tomkins or anyone in support. But his defensive is obviously suspect and people question his value compared to someone who can play 60 minutes and spread their impact over the match. That is for the management to decide. But if we were to re-sign Feka it would have to be on the right contract and IMO he should lose a few pounds and tighten up his defence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:27 pm 
Player Coach
Player Coach

CAM. wrote:Doesn't Pongia work in a gym? We should get him, ala Perelini at Saints.

He did at one point and I agree that he might make a better appointment than Mike Forshaw.

But I'm not sure if he is still here. I'm sure he returned home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:29 pm 
Player Coach
Player Coach

Matt James is Wigan bound next season 8)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1071 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 108  Next

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:35 am