FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Home Leeds Rhinos Whos leaving at the end of season?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:08 am 
Player Coach
First Team Player

EmmaMur01 wrote:Wasn't astwood applying for a British passport becuase his dad was born in Shuddersfield or something??

He's still overseas trained though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:29 am 
International Board Member
Club Owner

finglas wrote:Doesn't Scott Donald qualify under the same rules as Maurie Fa'asavalu (residency)? I hope Tony Smith doesn't use this loophole as I disagree with it but it could happen.

I've no idea. He'll have been here five seasons by the end of his current contract in 2010.

Quota wise he'll always be overseas trained but now excluded from the limit (probably?) on the grounds of him being contracted before the new regulations came into force. Giving clubs the ability to retain overseas players in addition to the quota while they continue to pay lip service to the development of the British game.

I'm sure Leeds are not alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:46 am 
International Star

All you have to do to confirm we're not alone is count up the number of overseas players at every other club - we've put ourselves right back to average for next season. Which means every other side will also be exploiting similar loopholes.

I suspect that Gibson won't be the last to leave BTW, as for next year we'll have (presumably) Donald, Delaney, Senior and Hall starting threequarters with Watkins, Ratu and Coady in reserve, plus Broughton. Coady aside, as he's making a massive step up in standard, I can't really see any of the others being that happy with the promise of the odd game due to injury - and neither should they be. You'd almost have to add BJB to that list as well because if he's going to feature as reserve full back he'll need the odd first team game as well I would have thought.

Anyway, it'd be interesting to hear the rationale of the club for such an expansion of overseas players. They'd probably say its down largely to the failure of the Academy to bring kids of sufficient quality into the squad and the cost of signing 'high-profile' English players. Having said that, they must have an awful lot of faith in Amor and Pitts for example, who're both completely unproven yet have three-year deals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:35 am 
Club Coach
Club Coach

Location: Nottingham. 800 years ago outlaws stole from the rich. Little has changed here
BrisbaneRhino wrote:All you have to do to confirm we're not alone is count up the number of overseas players at every other club - we've put ourselves right back to average for next season. Which means every other side will also be exploiting similar loopholes.

I suspect that Gibson won't be the last to leave BTW, as for next year we'll have (presumably) Donald, Delaney, Senior and Hall starting threequarters with Watkins, Ratu and Coady in reserve, plus Broughton. Coady aside, as he's making a massive step up in standard, I can't really see any of the others being that happy with the promise of the odd game due to injury - and neither should they be. You'd almost have to add BJB to that list as well because if he's going to feature as reserve full back he'll need the odd first team game as well I would have thought.

Anyway, it'd be interesting to hear the rationale of the club for such an expansion of overseas players. They'd probably say its down largely to the failure of the Academy to bring kids of sufficient quality into the squad and the cost of signing 'high-profile' English players. Having said that, they must have an awful lot of faith in Amor and Pitts for example, who're both completely unproven yet have three-year deals.

They'll be on peanuts though, and if they prove themselves will be worth an upgrade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:51 am 
International Chairman
International Chairman

tvoc wrote:1 - From within the Academy structures
That'll be the place the likes of Gibson, Watkins and Worrall came from. Players you have bemoaned as not being good enough for the 1st team this year.

Quote:2 - From within the domestic game, including the Championship
That'll be the place the likes of Coady, Pitts and Amour have come from. Players you moaned about because they were unlikely to contribute this season.
Quote:3 - From the NRL
That'll be the place Delaney and Eastwood have come from.

Like I say, Leeds just can't win with you.

Quote:The quota next season is set at six, Leeds thus far have contracted seven including extending the deals for Leuluai and Donald. The Donald extension was puzzling as at the time he was out of form, appeared almost dis-interested (Cummins like) and there were several calls on here for him to be replaced. I'd have favoured Watkins and/or Broughton to take that spot for 2010.
Do you think Leeds offered Donald a deal ion the basis of a dozen games form? He was out of form but over the previous three seasons he had shown himself to be the best winger in the comp, form he has now re-discovered. Thank goodness Leeds did re-sign him.

I've seen most of Leeds games this year, not just those on the telly, and to say Donald was dis-interested, depiste his lack of form, is just patently wrong.

I can hear your complainig now if Leeds wwre to have released a dream team winger and played a youngster like Broughton who then went on to struggle like Watkins has this year.

Again, another instance of Leeds being unable to do right to satisfy you.

Quote:Seven overseas players is too high IMO (we're not Wigan) and is at a level not seen at Leeds for many years I would imagine.
I agree. But you have regularly said you want the chief exec to do everything to provide the coach with a squad capable of winning as much as we can. Isn't he doing that within the constraints of the present regulations? You want to tie one hand behind his back and then moan about him not doing enough.

Quote:Above all else though I find it ironic that Leeds are increasing it's reliance on overseas players at a time the RFL are actively reducing the numbers permitted. I think as I've stated before it highlights a partial failure of the once famed Academy structures run by the club.
How are the RFL actively reducing the numbers permitted? By coming up with the crazy scheme that Leeds are following? You're lauding the RFL and complaining about Leeds. It was the RFL that introduced this.

Quote:Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.

Kevin Sinfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:55 am 
Player Coach
International Star

J.I.M wrote:buderus has a pet hamster from pets at home in leeds so he is exempt as well.

I have a pet hamster bought from Pets At Home. Near that Sainsburys and that Argos. Got the space camp rocket cage, with all the tubes and that ye?, got that from Argos. That very Argos.

YEAH LIKE WHATEVER!
TEAM UP! TEAM UP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:34 am 
Player Coach
International Star

G1 wrote:I share your sentiment but I wasn;t the one moaning all season that the club hadn't got players like Eastwood and Delaney here.

Players like Worrall, Gibson, Watkins, Ratu and Ablett have always had MY full support.

And you always supported me as well...............

Regards,

Ryan Bailey.

What a todger!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Polska Nosorozec wrote: There aint houses worth 750k in Bradford

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:57 am 
International Chairman
International Chairman

Richie Ramrod wrote:And you always supported me as well...............

Regards,

Ryan Bailey.

What a todger!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You've seen it? :shock:

Be fair, in comparison with your tinyrod you'd be impress with anything.

Quote:Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.

Kevin Sinfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:04 pm 
Club Owner

G1 wrote:That'll be the place the likes of Gibson, Watkins and Worrall came from. Players you have bemoaned as not being good enough for the 1st team this year.

A view seemingly supported by the current coaching staff who see more of these players in a week than you or I see in a season. Watkins isn't ready yet, Worrall and Gibson will never be ready and it's time for them to progress their careers elsewhere.

G1 wrote:That'll be the place the likes of Coady, Pitts and Amour have come from. Players you moaned about because they were unlikely to contribute this season.

I have never once moaned about these signings quite the opposite in fact. I even suggested another Championship player (Jon Fallon at Featherstone) I'd have liked to see brought in before any of them were signed by Leeds. They are ones for the future and plug the gap created by the failing Academy and don't appear 1st grade options in 2009.

G1 wrote:That'll be the place Delaney and Eastwood have come from.

Like I said those are the three options to fill the 1st grade squad from and Leeds are utilising all three.

G1 wrote:Like I say, Leeds just can't win with you.

All I said was that I find it ironic that Leeds' reliance on overseas trained players is increasing as the RFL are actively reducing the quota. In 2010, for the first time, Leeds will be using a loophole to exceed the limit on imports. That for me is surprising and a retrograde step by the club.

G1 wrote:Do you think Leeds offered Donald a deal ion the basis of a dozen games form? He was out of form but over the previous three seasons he had shown himself to be the best winger in the comp, form he has now re-discovered. Thank goodness Leeds did re-sign him.

What I think re Donald is that he was out of contract at the end of 2009 and Leeds have Academy products lining up for a run on the wing in Watkins, Broughton and Jones-Bishop. My preference therefore was to say thank you and bon voyage to Scott and give the opportunity to integrate into the 1st team to one of our own who should be close to that level in 2010. One less import, one more home trained.

G1 wrote:I've seen most of Leeds games this year, not just those on the telly, and to say Donald was dis-interested, depiste his lack of form, is just patently wrong.

I was happy for Donald to extend his deal in 2008 and I would have been happy to say thank you and goodbye at the end of this season with the emergence of Broughton at Super League level and the need to integrate Watkins and Jones-Bishop into the 1st team squad as they develope.

G1 wrote:I can hear your complainig now if Leeds wwre to have released a dream team winger and played a youngster like Broughton who then went on to struggle like Watkins has this year.

Not for 2010 you wouldn't. I judge young players as and when they are ready for the step up and at that point you go with them. I've seen enough of Watkins, Broughton and Jones-Bishop now to think 2010 is that time. I was therefore surprised and disappointed when Leeds took the Cummins route with Donald. The last time Leeds did that Raynor slipped through their fingers.

G1 wrote:I agree. But you have regularly said you want the chief exec to do everything to provide the coach with a squad capable of winning as much as we can. Isn't he doing that within the constraints of the present regulations? You want to tie one hand behind his back and then moan about him not doing enough.

Yes, I want the CEO to support the squad fully and of course he has to do that within the regulations but that doesn't stretch to exceeding limits imposed for the British game to improve. If Leeds couldn't recruit a suitable right centre in the home market I have no issue with them looking to the NRL. I wouldn't have re-signed Donald to enable that signing and stay within the spirit of the overseas trained limit set by the RFL.

G1 wrote:How are the RFL actively reducing the numbers permitted? By coming up with the crazy scheme that Leeds are following? You're lauding the RFL and complaining about Leeds. It was the RFL that introduced this.

And they'd have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids (Stanley Gene) IIRC it was individual players that challenged what the RFL were trying to achieve re the reducing quota rather than the clubs (Bradford had released Semi Tadulala before the back track) and the RFL have had to make concessions. When all the existing overseas players have finally departed the RFL will get their wish and the game in this country will be better for it IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:27 pm 
Club Owner

G1 wrote:Players like Worrall, Gibson, Watkins, Ratu and Ablett have always had MY full support.

That isn't what you were saying about Ablett the other day.

G1 wrote:However, I was very wide of the mark in my early appraisal of JJB 2001/2002 and also Ablett 2004 to 2006.
G1 wrote:Players like Worrall, Gibson, Watkins, Ratu and Ablett have always had MY full support.

That isn't what you were saying about Ablett the other day.

G1 wrote:However, I was very wide of the mark in my early appraisal of JJB 2001/2002 and also Ablett 2004 to 2006.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:18 pm