FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Home Leeds Rhinos "Fluke try denies Wire!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Fluke try denies Wire!"
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:14 pm 
Player Coach
International Star

Rogues Gallery wrote:I don't want to get into an argument but am willing to have a discussion.

We'll be in the supporters club on Friday from around 6 p.m usually by
the pool table.

But didn't Leeds replace Calderwood with Donald, Mathers with Webb and Walker with Toupi?

I think we have discarded our fair share of young players - there is no other option these days, you can't have the gigantic A team squads of the past. In fairness the examples you mention we signed Donald to replace Bai, Calderwood was offered a deal but didn't like it and went your way for the money. Mathers wanted to go to Australia - his contract was up and thet's what he did. I'm sure he would have been offered a contract with Leeds if he had wanted one. Brent Webb was available and it seemed sensible to sign him (replaceing one world class fullback with another). Walker went to Union. Nothing we could do, but again he wasn't discarded by the club. There are not that many centres around these days so we signed a NZ international.

"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:19 pm 
Club Owner
International Star

Rogues Gallery wrote:But didn't Leeds replace Calderwood with Donald, Mathers with Webb and Walker with Toupi?

In that time players like Hall, Smith, Watkins, Gibson, Allen, McShane, Burgess etc have all broken into the first team.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:30 pm 

Rogues Gallery wrote:We'll be in the supporters club on Friday from around 6 p.m usually by the pool table.

Thought you'd be in the ground watching the reserve game captain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:50 pm 
Player Coach
Club Captain

getdownmonkeyman wrote:Two guys running into each other isn't good kick-chase or defence. A one-handed carry into a tackle when clearing your line isn't good kick-chase or defence.

On every try scored a mistake has been made somewhere.

A dog is for Christmas!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:01 pm 
International Chairman
International Chairman

Oldham Rhino wrote:Thought you'd be in the ground watching the reserve game captain.

We've arranged to meet up with a few fellow Wigan "strays" in the supporters club. :roll:

SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:18 pm 
Player Coach
International Star

King Monkey wrote:No. We went in at half time 14-10

ah of couse! hicks in the corner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:34 pm 
Player Coach
Junior Player

King Monkey wrote:Although Leeds did well in defence in the 2nd half a lot of Wire passes didnt stick (when they'd cut us open) at crucial times in the first half. Had their execution been better they'd have more than likely won the game and had this game been 4 weeks down the line and Smith had done his usual job of back to basics I think they'd certainly have won (had the game panned out the same). It wasnt and they didn't.

However, champion sides ride their luck and have the ability to go up the other end and pinch it and thats what we did. You could see how much the Mcguire try meant to the whole team by their celebrations.

If I was a Wire fan I'd be pleased with the performance but disappointed with the result.

Leeds have got plenty left in the tank but discipline and ball control need work!

Thats a fair point but in 4 weeks time we wouldn't have been backing up from the WCC which I think had a major bearing on the game (both from a team selection and performance aspect).

The conditions also didn't help as the wind prevented Leeds being able to gain any position from kicks which helped Warrington keep mounting the pressure and in Senior and Webbs absence we lacked as much of the firepower we usually have to strike from deep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:52 am 
International Board Member
First Team Player

Location: Quote Sept 2015 "We'll see how good a coach he is next season"
The Stones Bitter replay will show, played 4 (mostly poor yet) won 4!
Read 'em and weep!

It's hard to sing with an 'oofer on yer back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:13 am 
Player Coach

G1 wrote:There are two facets to Rugby league. Attack and defence. Looks to me like our defence is awesome and there is nothing lucky about our Victory against Warrington. If they can't beat us with the weight of possession and territory they enjoyed then their attack is a bigger worry than ours and well done to our defence.

The offensive fluency will come.

We're not out of 2nd gear, unbeaten and top of the league. Only Leeds fans could fine room to complain about that.

So a Wire fan wasn't impressed with us. Who gives a feck anyway? How would a Wire fan know how to judge a championship team? They're us from the 80's.[/i]

Spot on.

That goes with the same massive weight of possession that we gave Hull KR (especially in the 1st half) and they have nothing to show for it either.

If we were playing the like the way we came out of the blocks last season, we'd have blown some of the opposition away. Clearly the club has got a different peak / focus for this season and I expect us to lose at points along the way, but as you say and many of us agree with, the team hasn't even hit any sort of reasonable form yet.

As for Wire ... I haven't seen them in any Grand Finals recently. Maybe they can remind us as to which ones they've appeared in, despite spending shed-loads of cash (including one player who is on a lot more than anyone in the Championship winning Leeds side) ?

Check out //www.fourpointtry.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:36 am 
Player Coach

G1 wrote:There are two facets to Rugby league. Attack and defence. Looks to me like our defence is awesome and there is nothing lucky about our Victory against Warrington. If they can't beat us with the weight of possession and territory they enjoyed then their attack is a bigger worry than ours and well done to our defence.

The offensive fluency will come.

We're not out of 2nd gear, unbeaten and top of the league. Only Leeds fans could fine room to complain about that.

So a Wire fan wasn't impressed with us. Who gives a feck anyway? How would a Wire fan know how to judge a championship team? They're us from the 80's.[/i]
Spot on.

I'm not a pheasant plucker, i'm a pheasant pluckers son and i'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:58 am