FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Home Wakefield Trinity Rumours thread

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 244  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rumours thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:27 pm 

Kay is already signed for next year.
McGillvray has said he's likely to retire
Gale has said he'd go again if not injured even if he is second choice.

Griffin I'd say yes but he hasn't got long. We need other backrowers to support him.

A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:01 am 
International Star
Academy Player

Jerry wont be staying, poor lad looks like he's falling apart held together by a load of strapping but he's still giving it his all, Wouldn't want to keep Ashurst, just dont think he's up to SL level anymore, sad to say it because he's been a massive servant to the club and will be remembered for a long time.

One player I would keep is Pitts, gets through absolutely loads of work in attack and defence, you can see him in the attacking line calling plays and sorting our shape out, feels like a leader for us

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:30 am 
Club Coach
International Star

Here’s my thoughts - though I think all are doing a great job this season and that should be recognised.

Keep

Pitts - I’d keep as an interchange/rotation 13 and back up experienced SR. I wouldn’t expect him to play as many games.

Hood - been good this year and I’d give him another season next year to help the development further of Doyle/Smith but expect him to rotate more next season with those two in a transition of sorts.

Booth - I think PT said he may be signed but he can play wing, Fb and centre and looks to have potential and speed.

Kay - I think I’d keep him as a squad player due to his utility value in a few positions.

Croft - solid centre and would keep as a squad player.

Undecided …

Griffin - I’m 50/50. I feel the new tackle techniques may make it hard for second rows been stretched to tackle low and I think Griffin may struggle with this. But he could be a good option as an interchange SR for the season and come on around 50 minute mark for some big runs.

Other…

Jerry - think he came back too early for Wembley as he’s had his arm strapped since but probably playing through it but expect him to retire.

Ashurst - Very professional solid second row. He’s got more time left at top championship level but I think we need to find the next Ashurst. Big boots to fill.

Olpherts - been good for us but another like above who would likely stay at top championship level.

Franco - Think championship is his level imo.

Shaw - not seen enough of him but see above.

Law - not seen enough of him but he’s been around a few years and can’t seem to break through.

Thornley - like him as a player but with games missed probably look at other options but he’s been good when he’s played.

Bowden - think he’s got a few years at championship level but think we couple look for a young up coming prop.

Top six 2005 - Trinity.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:39 pm 
International Star
Club Captain

Trojan Horse wrote:Here’s my thoughts - though I think all are doing a great job this season and that should be recognised.

Keep

Pitts - I’d keep as an interchange/rotation 13 and back up experienced SR. I wouldn’t expect him to play as many games.

Hood - been good this year and I’d give him another season next year to help the development further of Doyle/Smith but expect him to rotate more next season with those two in a transition of sorts.

Booth - I think PT said he may be signed but he can play wing, Fb and centre and looks to have potential and speed.

Kay - I think I’d keep him as a squad player due to his utility value in a few positions.

Undecided …

Griffin - I’m 50/50. I feel the new tackle techniques may make it hard for second rows been stretched to tackle low and I think Griffin may struggle with this. But he could be a good option as an interchange SR for the season and come on around 50 minute mark for some big runs.

Other…

Jerry - think he came back too early for Wembley as he’s had his arm strapped since but probably playing through it but expect him to retire.

Ashurst - Very professional solid second row. He’s got more time left at top championship level but I think we need to find the next Ashurst. Big boots to fill.

Olpherts - been good for us but another like above who would likely stay at top championship level.

Law - not seen enough of him but he’s been around a few years and can’t seem to break through.

Thornley - like him as a player but with games missed probably look at other options but he’s been good when he’s played.

Bowden - think he’s got a few years at championship level but think we couple look for a young up coming prop.

Think we are getting carried away with how good our team is,The main reason why we are going well in the Championship is more down to been full time than the rugby we are playing yet we have fans who want to go back up to S L with players who were way to old and way past there best last season in S L you could not make it up Plus the young players in the key posions are not S L standed yet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:06 pm 
Club Coach
International Star

alegend wrote:
Trojan Horse wrote:Here’s my thoughts - though I think all are doing a great job this season and that should be recognised.

Keep

Undecided …

Other…

Think we are getting carried away with how good our team is,The main reason why we are going well in the Championship is more down to been full time than the rugby we are playing yet we have fans who want to go back up to S L with players who were way to old and way past there best last season in S L you could not make it up Plus the young players in the key posions are not S L standed yet

I broadly agree. Though I do think there needs to be a handful for next season who will help the transition till the required targeted players are available who the owner wants.

That’s why I was probably a bit more ruthless in the ones I wouldn’t keep and only come up with 4/5. That said, and this is a sticking point….

Ther players we bring in MUST be better than those we don’t retain. For continual improvement.

Just again to add, the players as a squad are doing a fantastic job this season and being very committed and professional no matter what their contract situation. That’s testament to both club and players and a lot of the players who won’t be with us will likely get good contracts for their performances at other clubs should they wish.

Top six 2005 - Trinity.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:25 pm 
First Team Player
Fringe Player

Trojan Horse wrote:I broadly agree. Though I do think there needs to be a handful for next season who will help the transition till the required targeted players are available who the owner wants.

That’s why I was probably a bit more ruthless in the ones I wouldn’t keep and only come up with 4/5. That said, and this is a sticking point….

Ther players we bring in MUST be better than those we don’t retain. For continual improvement.

Just again to add, the players as a squad are doing a fantastic job this season and being very committed and professional no matter what their contract situation. That’s testament to both club and players and a lot of the players who won’t be with us will likely get good contracts for their performances at other clubs should they wish.
agree with all of your sentiments - Bowden I think may have signed for Donny, boothroyd doesn’t merit an overseas berth , pitts of the old guard is the one player who merits another year, griffin probably, olpherts for me over Croft. Realistically with 2 Aussie berths left we do need to keep 4 or 5 of the unsigned squad,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:56 pm 
Club Captain
First Team Player

Do we loan the likes of Shaw , Croft, Law out to Hunslet to keep them match fit next season as I don’t see them getting a starting birth ,just not up to it at present Imo . Definitely Pitt’s and Griffin , Thornley seems to be on the Physio bench more than the field so it’s a no from me . Olpherts is a durable player as is hood and are keeps for me . Gale has a wealth of craft and guile and would keep him fit in case of a calamity but get him involved off field with our new half back partnership ,he’s probably forgot more than they know collectively and will be a tremendous asset around the club as he’s always got plenty to say .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:46 pm 
Junior Player
Junior Player

You look at our 17 for next year and I do actually think it'd compete well in Super League:

Jowitt
Johnstone
Scott
Pratt
Walmsley/Olpherts
Russell
Lino
Atoni
Hood
McMeeken
Storton
Pitts
Rodwell

Doyle
Uele
Vagana
Bain

But as a general rule a coach will have a squad of 30-34, essentially with a reserves team to pick from - as Wigan, Hull KR, Catalans all do. And our backup 'squad' at the moment looks like:

Booth
Walmsley/Olpherts
Law
Hall
?
Lawford
Shaw
Smith
?
Boothroyd
?
Kay

So there are obviously some gaps to fill. And if we recruit brilliant players then some of that starting squad will drop into the reserves. I'd personally like to see us recruit a world-beating second rower to fill that gap that Ashurst will leave. The fact I can say that is crazy considering where we were a year ago.

For what it's worth, I'd also sign up Pitts, Hood, and Griffin as transition players, as you say Trojan. But the ones we disagree on are Law, Shaw (I'd keep them and give them another year in development) and Croft. Think Croft's a perfectly adequate stand in at Championship level but centres are supposed to be a running threat and be able to jam people in defence. I don't think I've ever seen him do either, and he's had 5 years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:47 pm 
Junior Player
Junior Player

You look at our 17 for next year and I do actually think it'd compete well in Super League:

Jowitt
Johnstone
Scott
Pratt
Walmsley/Olpherts
Russell
Lino
Atoni
Hood
McMeeken
Storton
Pitts
Rodwell

Doyle
Uele
Vagana
Bain

But as a general rule a coach will have a squad of 30-34, essentially with a reserves team to pick from - as Wigan, Hull KR, Catalans all do. And our backup 'squad' at the moment looks like:

Booth
Walmsley/Olpherts
Law
Hall
?
Lawford
Shaw
Smith
?
Boothroyd
?
Kay

So there are obviously some gaps to fill. And if we recruit brilliant players then some of that starting squad will drop into the reserves. I'd personally like to see us recruit a world-beating second rower to fill that gap that Ashurst will leave. The fact I can say that is crazy considering where we were a year ago.

For what it's worth, I'd also sign up Pitts, Hood, and Griffin as transition players, as you say Trojan. But the ones we disagree on are Law, Shaw (I'd keep them and give them another year in development) and Croft. Think Croft's a perfectly adequate stand in at Championship level but centres are supposed to be a running threat and be able to jam people in defence. I don't think I've ever seen him do either, and he's had 5 years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:00 pm 
Club Coach
International Star

Butcher wrote:You look at our 17 for next year and I do actually think it'd compete well in Super League:

Jowitt
Johnstone
Scott
Pratt
Walmsley/Olpherts
Russell
Lino
Atoni
Hood
McMeeken
Storton
Pitts
Rodwell

Doyle
Uele
Vagana
Bain

Booth
Walmsley/Olpherts
Law
Hall
?
Lawford
Shaw
Smith
?
Boothroyd
?
Kay

Just think Shaw and Law have been in full time training for a few years and haven’t really managed to get hardly any first team game time.

Ultimately the club has already let players know.

Just a thought but is there any young lads who look like they could step up to first team in 2025?

Top six 2005 - Trinity.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 244  Next

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 10:16 pm