25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Home Wakefield Trinity Max Out

Post subject: Re: Max Out
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:26 am 
Club Coach
Club Coach

PopTart wrote:An old boss of mine once surprised me when he announced to the whole team that he had favourites in every team he managed.
He went on to explain his favourites were always the ones who worked hard, had integrity in what they did, and delivered the goods.
I imagine Chester is the same.

Being young, or from Wakefield, or behind someone who isn't actually playing at their best doesn't guarantee you a place. You have to earn it with hard work, talent and execution. I am not there when he makes those decisions but I imagine that's how he makes them, not just based on whether he likes the person.

This post is far too sensible for the current forum members (with some exceptions).
You need some more "banter" or to slate the club, players or coach or, other posters.

I'm still surprised that Jowitt didn't plat last week though :D

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:35 am 
International Star
First Team Player

alegend wrote:Read on this forum we have won 7 of last 24 games including end of last season. Would be good to know how many times Finn and Grix have played together in these matches .

Not that I would dispute your undoubted knowledge but we have won 10 and lost 14 of our last 24 competitive games

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:51 am 
Club Coach
Club Coach

PopTart wrote:An old boss of mine once surprised me when he announced to the whole team that he had favourites in every team he managed.
He went on to explain his favourites were always the ones who worked hard, had integrity in what they did, and delivered the goods.

I've said that to my team many times - sometimes when accused of having favourites; I've always responded the same way - my favourite people are those who work hard, get results, and add something positive to the team - so everyone has the capacity to be on the list.

I've never subscribed to this theory that coaches don't play a player because of some personal beef - it seems perverse and obtuse to hamstring yourself in a performance business by denying a place to someone who could deliver better results, because of a falling out or random dislike; I'm sure it's happened - but it's probably rare. What's more likely is that a player is left out because of an issue in training, with attitude, fitness, injury, form or some other legitimate reason - but because some fans disagree with their lack of selection and have no information to the contrary, they create their own story.

That said, I do think some coaches, Agar was one, have a fear of playing kids; Chester may have the same tendency - particularly in the face of a run of losses. Better the devil you know and all that jazz.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:29 pm 
Club Captain
First Team Player

I remember A certain Danny brough been given the cold shoulder by the the then England coach when we were crying out for someone to guide us around the park .
These things happen in life you just got to either move on or put up with it .

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:51 pm 

Kettykat wrote:I remember A certain Danny brough been given the cold shoulder by the the then England coach when we were crying out for someone to guide us around the park .
These things happen in life you just got to either move on or put up with it .

I think that comes under the works hard and shows integrity part of my post.
I don't think I'd like Broughy personally but I'd play him in my team.........unless I felt playing him would disrupt the rest of the team.

A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:53 pm 

On Max, Michael Monaghan just said on his pre match interview that Chester has told Max he will have an extended run at full back and have his chance to show his skills.
He said that they have talked to him about some of the things that he didn't do well, but also said that they appreciate the changes at half back have affected Max at fullback and they are working on that too.

A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:15 pm 
Club Captain
First Team Player

I imagine Chester is the same.

Being young, or from Wakefield, or behind someone who isn't actually playing at their best doesn't guarantee you a place. You have to earn it with hard work, talent and execution. I am not there when he makes those decisions but I imagine that's how he makes them, not just based on whether he likes the person.

I agree with the principal behind your thing PT but how does that fit in with senior players getting an instant recall without having to prove their worth first? That's what puzzles me.
Also, as bad as some people think Max is, is he more incompetent at FB than BJB or Hampshire.
Whatever has happened to MJ has not been caused by MJ. His decline (If he has!) lies within the club. Just my opinion, of course.

It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:49 pm