Post subject: Peet and the NRL
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:29 pm 
Player Coach
International Star

Post subject: Re: Peet and the NRL
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:53 pm 
Club Coach
Club Coach

The problem is that you never know whether it's a serious topic down in Aus, or some wannabe RL journalist on a fishing trip.

Of all the current UK coaches, Matty is most likely to be the one who'd attract the interest of the NRL (with the possible exception of Burgess, though on the big day Sam's lads flunked it), but I still think that even Matty would struggle to get a head-coach gig. The plain fact is that winning stuff here doesn't really impress Down Under. I know that Madge got one of the top jobs after winning stuff at Wigan, but he was already a known quantity in the NRL and very well regarded.

Personally, I'd be very disappointed, and surprised, if Matty Peet left Wigan to take an assistant coach job. It could be anywhere in the world, and it would still be a come down for him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:57 pm 
Player Coach
International Star

I don't believe there is anything to worry about with this - 1) because of the source 2) because if theres an 8 man shortlist to get an NRL job an Englishman is not likely to be at the top of it and 3) Peet is too smart to abandon a club that is so strong atm and one he's just signed a 7 year contract for.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:08 pm 
International Board Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Australians are too arrogant to put an English coach straight in to a head coaches role. Anybody who wants the top job at any of the clubs will need to work their way through a club as an assistant first. The only one with half a chance of bypassing that is Sam Burgess and that is because of his reputation as a player in Australia.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:41 pm 
Player Coach
International Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:48 pm 
International Star

He's so ingrained into the culture and the way of doing things, I can't see it happening for a good while. He's got a great job, an excellent contracted squad with a self-created pathway for youth players. Not to mention that contract!

NRL must be the dream but to move from his situation into the media crossfire over there just wouldn't make sense just yet. He's still a pup in coaching terms despite his success.

It has to be said though, with his background and experience he would be perfect as part of the new Perth team that is being mooted.

EDIT missed the post above.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:58 pm 
Club Coach
Club Coach

SFW wrote:He's so ingrained into the culture and the way of doing things, I can't see it happening for a good while. He's got a great job, an excellent contracted squad with a self-created pathway for youth players. Not to mention that contract!

NRL must be the dream but to move from his situation into the media crossfire over there just wouldn't make sense just yet. He's still a pup in coaching terms despite his success.

It has to be said though, with his background and experience he would be perfect as part of the new Perth team that is being mooted.

EDIT missed the post above.

I don't think anyone could ever say never. But you're right ... he's got more to do here yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:06 pm 
First Team Player
Academy Player

I think it is sometimes easy to forget that Peet is such a young coach. He is 40 so could do another 10 years as Wigan's head coach and he would still only be 50, even at the end of his contract in 2030 he will only be 46. If coaching is the career he intends to stick to, he is only at the beginning of that journey still and has plenty of years ahead of him.

If he is happy in his current situation, as he seems to be, and enjoys working with this playing group there is no reason for him to hastily rush into a shot at the NRL.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:56 pm 
First Team Player
First Team Player

MadDogg wrote:I don't believe there is anything to worry about with this - 1) because of the source 2) because if theres an 8 man shortlist to get an NRL job an Englishman is not likely to be at the top of it and 3) Peet is too smart to abandon a club that is so strong atm and one he's just signed a 7 year contract for.

Plus, he has a young family. No chance!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:25 pm 
Academy Player
New Signing

In a few years I think I could see him consider it but at the moment no chance

It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:38 pm