FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Home Wigan Warriors Shaun Wane

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shaun Wane
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:20 am 
Player Coach
First Team Player

sergeant pepper wrote:
Since 2007 Leeds have bagged a trophy every other year.

The biggest difference between Leeds and ourselves is experience. Leeds have had the Sinfield/McGuire/Peacock/Burrows base to the team and that level of experience and game management has been able to get them over the line in tight games (very tight games at times especially this season)- Wigan have lacked that core over the last few years. Even the dominant Bradford and Saints teams in recent times have always had that experienced long term core- Wigan are getting closer to having that, assuming we can keep the current squad together - having Sam back is a big bonus as that will up the experience level considerably.

Wane is not a perfect coach (and having to replace players who keep leaving through no fault of his does not help) but I honestly cannot see anyone who could perform better, McDermot in many ways has had it easy at Leeds with the experienced players on the pitch - it will be interesting to see how he copes next season with the players leaving that will be a test of his coaching ability.

What Wigan are seriously in need of is a settled squad for a season or two.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:39 am 
International Star
Club Captain

exiled Warrior wrote:The biggest difference between Leeds and ourselves is experience. Leeds have had the Sinfield/McGuire/Peacock/Burrows base to the team and that level of experience and game management has been able to get them over the line in tight games (very tight games at times especially this season)- Wigan have lacked that core over the last few years. Even the dominant Bradford and Saints teams in recent times have always had that experienced long term core- Wigan are getting closer to having that, assuming we can keep the current squad together - having Sam back is a big bonus as that will up the experience level considerably.

Wane is not a perfect coach (and having to replace players who keep leaving through no fault of his does not help) but I honestly cannot see anyone who could perform better, McDermot in many ways has had it easy at Leeds with the experienced players on the pitch - it will be interesting to see how he copes next season with the players leaving that will be a test of his coaching ability.

What Wigan are seriously in need of is a settled squad for a season or two.....

FWIW I agree. I said a few pages earlier that not all of this rests at the feet of Wane.

The player turnover at the club has been ridiculous. We've had teams equal to the Leeds side on Friday but we've not kept them together.

That being said I don't think Wane has nothing to do with player signings. I think some of his choices have been questionable I.e Goulding being replaced etc.

23 LEAGUE TITLES
21 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:53 am 
Player Coach
Club Captain

Got to say I've enjoyed this thread, such a break from the usual on here. I've already given my qualified support to SW earlier and have to say that nothing has changed for me. We just got pipped in an epic encounter by a special team in Leeds. Over the season, I believe we've played them 5 times and the aggregate score in +4 to Leeds? Given their squad age relative to ours we certainly have more to look forward to IMO. I accept the frustration in constantly looking forward but what else can we do?
As has been said it is vital that we hold onto the majority of our players. The more experience this group gets the better they will be for it and the better likelihood of the trophy wins we all want. However, if we keep getting to the GF and keep losing out IL will be faced with a tough decision re his coach. Does he accept that we are right up there and unlucky not to cross the line or does he say enough is enough?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:07 am 
International Star
First Team Player

exiled Warrior wrote:Wane is not a perfect coach (and having to replace players who keep leaving through no fault of his does not help) but I honestly cannot see anyone who could perform better, McDermot in many ways has had it easy at Leeds with the experienced players on the pitch - it will be interesting to see how he copes next season with the players leaving that will be a test of his coaching ability.

This is a good point. Brian Mac himself has often spoke about how the group effectively manages itself. Next season will be a big test for him to see how he copes with what Shaun Wane has had to cope with every season of his tenure.

"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:37 am 
International Star
Club Captain

Aboveusonlypie wrote:This is a good point. Brian Mac himself has often spoke about how the group effectively manages itself.

Brian mac isn't coach of the year. He's facilitator of the year. He's facilitated the good play of the players, not coached it. They have coached themselves.

实事求是!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:46 am 
Player Coach
International Star

exiled Warrior wrote:The biggest difference between Leeds and ourselves is experience.

Biggest? Mate, there's nowt between us. The only difference I could see was a knock on that could have gone either way. Wane's a good coach, not perfect but there isn't one that is. By my reckoning, Leeds' best chance of a seamless transition would be if Wigan were to ditch him.

"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:47 am 
International Star
First Team Player

FlexWheeler wrote:Brian mac isn't coach of the year. He's facilitator of the year. He's facilitated the good play of the players, not coached it. They have coached themselves.

All of which shouldn't be underestimated. I like Brian Mac, he speaks well after the game, giving credit to the opposition when it is due. He has managed Hardaker well and got the best out of him, when other coaches may have given up. He trusts his senior players and they have repaid that trust.

Next season will be really interesting. How will he replace Sinfield? I for one, wouldn't think there is much left in McGuire's tank, so Sutcliffe will need to step up, which he showed signs of doing this year. Will Galloway be anywhere near as good as Peacock? I doubt it, though he has some pedigree. Will Cuthbertson be as effective? Or will sides counter him? Will the replacement hooker be of sufficient quality, because Aiton was very good this year and may be an even bigger loss for the team.

"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:48 am 
Player Coach
Club Captain

Clearwing wrote:Biggest? Mate, there's nowt between us. The only difference I could see was a knock on that could have gone either way. Wane's a good coach, not perfect but there isn't one that is. By my reckoning, Leeds' best chance of a seamless transition would be if Wigan were to ditch him.

You'll get nowhere fast on here with posts like that :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:59 am 
Player Coach
Club Captain

O'Loughlin/McIlorum/Smith/Bowen is a pretty experienced long-term core. They should know how to manage games by now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:08 am 
Player Coach
Club Captain

craigizzard wrote:O'Loughlin/McIlorum/Smith/Bowen is a pretty experienced long-term core. They should know how to manage games by now.

One's always injured, one's retired, one spends half the game on the bench and one's Matty Smith. We're doomed! :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:35 am